Culture Under Threat
Cultural sites have been targeted by a variety of terror groups and violent extremist organizations across the Arab world. This interactive map shows the clear march of destruction by ISIS and its sympathizers and illustrates where deliberate attacks on heritage are occurring and remain threatened.
- Use the "+" or "-" buttons to zoom in or out of the map and click on the icons to open pop-ups with more information.
- Heritage sites attacked, targeted, or destroyed
- UNESCO World Heritage and tentative list sites
- Museums - archaeology, history, and religion
- Areas under threat or control of terror groups
About this Map
The "Culture Under Threat" interactive map was created by The Antiquities Coalition in Washington, D.C., with whom MEI has partnered for a series of events and high-level ministerial meetings in the region to raise awareness and form plans for action to stop the illegal trade of antiquities. View the Culture Under Threat page on their website for more information on the map data, sources, citation instructions, and information about how you can contribute to this project.
- New Tool Maps Cultural Trail of Destruction Left By Islamic Extremist Groups [Newsweek, Jan. 2016]
- Global Leaders and Antiquities Community Join to Fight Trafficking and Terror Financing [Press Release, Sept. 2015]
- Stolen Heritage: Cultural Racketeering in Egypt [Discussion by Deborah Lehr]