Dr. Roby Barrett is the president of a consulting firm, specializing in defense and security technology applications and systems including nuclear issues, police-border security, command and control, and weapons acquisition issues. He is a former Foreign Service officer and a graduate of the Foreign Service Institute’s intensive 2-year Arab Language and Middle East Area Studies program as well as the Counterterrorism Tactics and Special Operations courses.
Dr. Barrett is a senior advisor to the Board of Directors of the Bilateral U.S.-Arab Chamber of Commerce. He is a Senior Fellow with the Joint Special Operations University and the Air Force Special Operations School. He was an Eisenhower-Roberts fellow of the Eisenhower Institute in Washington D.C., a Rotary International fellow at the Russian and East European Institute at the University of Munich, a Scottish Rite Research fellow at Oxford University.
Dr. Barrett was a guest speaker at the Bahrain MOI Gulf Security Forum (2008), at the opening of the King Abdullah Special Operations Training Center (Amman 2009), and the Bahrain SOF Conference (2010). Dr. Barrett supported numerous military units including the 5th Special Forces Group, 101st Airborne both in the U.S. and Iraq, Naval Special Warfare Command both in the U.S. and the Arabian Gulf, 4th Psychological Warfare Group, and 19th Special Forces Group.
B.A. in History and Government at Texas A&M University - Commerce; M.A. in History and Government at Baylor University; M.A. in Government at Texas A&M University - Commerce; Ph.D. in Middle East and South Asian History at University of Texas at Austinhttp://www.mei.edu/node/25/edit
- "Saudi Arabia: Modernity, Stability and the Twenty-First Century Monarchy," Joint Special Operations University [PDF]
- "Intervention in Iraq, 1958-1959," The Middle East Institute [PDF]
- "Iran: Illusion, Reality, and Interests," Joint Special Operations University [PDF]
- "U.S. Policy and Iraq: Pragmatism and Progressive Ideals," NPEJ [PDF]
- "Yemen: A Different Political Paradigm in Context," Joint Special Operations University [PDF]
- "Oman: The Present in the Context of a Fractured Past," Joint Special Operations University [PDF]
Countries of Expertise
Arabian Gulf States, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Palestine, Syria, Lebanon, Egypt, Pakistan, India
Issues of Expertise
Terrorism/Security Issues, Political Movements, Cultural/Tribal Issues, Regional Foreign Policy, Political/Military Affairs, Nuclear Issues