Dr. Sahar Khamis is an Associate Professor in the Department of Communication at the University of Maryland, College Park. She is an expert on Arab and Muslim media, and the former Head of the Mass Communication and Information Science Department in Qatar University. Dr. Khamis holds a Ph.D. in Mass Media and Cultural Studies from the University of Manchester in England. She is a former Mellon Islamic Studies Initiative Visiting Professor at the University of Chicago. She is the co-author of the books “Islam Dot Com: Contemporary Islamic Discourses in Cyberspace” (Palgrave Macmillan, 2009) and “Egyptian Revolution 2.0: Political Blogging, Civic Engagement and Citizen Journalism” (Palgrave Macmillan, 2013), and the co-editor of the book: “Arab Women’s Activism and Socio-Political Transformation: Unfinished Gendered Revolutions” (Palgrave Macmillan, 2018). Additionally, she authored and co-authored numerous book chapters, journal articles and conference papers, regionally and internationally, in both English and Arabic. She is the recipient of a number of prestigious academic and professional awards, as well as a member of the editorial boards of several journals in the field of communication, in general, and the field of Arab and Muslim media, in particular. Dr. Khamis is a media commentator and analyst, a public speaker, a human rights commissioner in the Human Rights Commission in Montgomery County, Maryland, and a radio host, who presents a monthly radio show on “U.S. Arab Radio” (the first Arab-American radio station broadcasting in the U.S. and Canada).
- Sifting through the deluge of COVID-19 information. Interview published by the College of Arts and Humanities (ARHU) at the University of Maryland, April 13th, 2020. Available at: https://arhu.umd.edu/news/
- Interviewed in the Middle East Institute (MEI) webinar titled: “Big brother: Internet age surveillance and censorship in the Middle East” on March 30th, 2020. Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?
- My radio program on "U.S. Arab Radio" on March 27th, 2020, discussed the topic "Faith in a Time of Fear: Spirituality and Coping with the Coronavirus Crisis." My three guests were a Rabbi, a Reverend, and an Imam. Available at: https://youtu.be/A-_IKz4S-
- Interviewed in the 4th episode of “The New Arab Voice” podcast titled: “Paranoia, conflict and resilience: The Middle East at war with the Coronavirus” on March 24th, 2020. Available at: https://podcasts.apple.
com/gb/podcast/paranoia- conflict-resilience-middle- east-at-war-coronavirus/ id1495381178?i=1000469363375
- Interviewed in the program “The Scope” with Waqar Rizfi on Indus News TV on “The rise of White Supremacist propaganda in the U.S.” on February 15th, 2020. Available at: https://www.youtube.com/
- Interviewed on TRT World on October 9th, 2019 on “U.S. Senators propose Sanctions on Turkey.” Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=aVvLFtByxa4&list= PLS7m9yu7qHoh3kgiGN1dmTivZO193 NZjb&index=7
- Interviewed on TRT World on September 30th, 2019 on “Why are people protesting against President Sisi in Egypt?” Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=hwaQGE7_XsA&list= PLS7m9yu7qHoh3kgiGN1dmTivZO193 NZjb&index=5
- Interviewed in the program “The Zada Show” on “A powerful technique to stop Islamophobia” on May 1st, 2019. Available at: https://www.youtube.com/
- Interviewed in the program “DC Direct” on “TRT World” (Turkish TV) on March 22nd, 2019 on “Terrorism in the Media,” discussing the role of the media in defining terrorism and who gets labelled as a terrorist and who doesn’t, in the aftermath of the New Zealand massacre. Available at: https://www.trtworld.com/
video/news-videos/dc-direct- terrorism-in-the-media/ 5c95581a5788bd644f8bdb53
- Khamis, S. (2020). Egypt’s puzzling dilemma: Escalating challenges and obstructed mobilization, Arab Center Washington DC, February 20th, 2020. Available at: http://arabcenterdc.org/
policy_analyses/egypts- puzzling-dilemma-escalating- challenges-and-obstructed- mobilization/
- Khamis, S. (2019). Arab women in the “Post-Arab Spring era:” Triumphs and tribulations, Inside Arabia, December 11th, 2019. Available at: https://insidearabia.com/arab-
- Khamis, S. (2019). The Twitter spy scandal: Context, parallels, threats and responsibilities, Gulf International Forum, December 9th, 2019. Available at: https://gulfif.org/the-
twitter-spy-scandal-context- parallels-threats-and- responsibilities/
- Khamis, S. (2019). The Arab media landscape one year after Khashoggi: Louder opposition, more repression, and zero accountability, Inside Arabia, October 29th, 2019. Available at: https://insidearabia.com/the-
arab-media-landscape-one-year- after-khashoggi-louder- opposition-more-repression- and-zero-accountability/
- Khamis, S. (2019). Whistleblowers, repression and regime panic will fuel Egypt’s next uprising, The New Arab, October 9th, 2019. Available at: https://english.alaraby.co.uk/
english/comment/2019/10/10/ whistleblowers-repression-and- regime-panic-egypts-next- uprising
- Khamis, S. (2019). It is crucial to accept women’s right to be at the table, The News International, September 22nd, 2019. Available at: https://www.thenews.com.pk/
- Khamis, S. (2019). Morsi’s death: Conflicting narratives, escalating repression, deepening polarization, Arab Center Washington DC, June 25th, 2019. Available at:http://arabcenterdc.org/
policy_analyses/morsis-death- conflicting-narratives- escalating-repression- deepening-polarization/
- Khamis, S. (2019). The many faces of Arab women’s activism, The New Arab, March 8th, 2019. Available at: https://www.alaraby.co.uk/
english/comment/2019/3/8/the- many-faces-of-arab-womens- activism
Regions of Expertise
Middle East, the Arab World, Egypt