PRIVATE INSTRUCTION IS AVAILABLE IN THE FOLLOWING LANGUAGES:
MEI offers private tutoring in any of the above languages in the D.C. area for students and professionals seeking the flexibility of private lessons, and/or those who seek a more intensive, customized learning format designed in consultation with their instructor. Tailored to meet individual student learning goals, private lessons are especially popular with employees of the federal government as well as international organizations and think tanks who need to reach advanced proficiency levels in a relatively short amount of time. MEI maintains a good working relationship with many of these agencies such as the Department of State, the Department of Justice, and a variety of foreign embassies.
MEI instructors provide tutoring in the following regional dialects, among others:
Levantine (Syrian, Palestinian, Jordanian, and Lebanese), Egyptian, Iraqi, Gulf, Morrocan, and Yemeni Arabic as well as Kurmanji and Sorani Kurdish.
To Begin Tutoring:
- Click here to complete a tutoring request form. This form will help us pair you with an instructor that best meets your learning goals and schedule, and you will be notified via email once a match has been made. The email will also include instructions for retrieving your MEI Student/User ID, which you will use to purchase tutoring credits and schedule lessons.
- All students who begin tutoring must purchase a minimum of 6 hours. Both in-person tutoring sessions and those held over Skype must be a minimum of 1.5 hours.
- On-site private tutoring: $55 per hour (conducted on-site at the Middle East Institute)
- Off-site private tutoring: $65 per hour (teacher travels to student's desired location in the D.C. metro region)
- On-site group tutoring: $45 per hour per student (private lessons for 2+ students conducted on-site)
- Off-site group tutoring: $55 per hour per student (private lessons for 2+ students conducted off-site)
- Skype tutoring: $35 per hour
Please note that MEI enforces a strict 24-hour cancellation fee for private lessons; sessions cancelled within 24 hours will be assessed a flat rate equivalent to 1.5 hours of instruction for onsite or offsite lessons - such that a late cancellation of onsite private tutoring would, for example, be assessed an $82.50 charge - or 1 hour of Skype instruction, equivalent to a $35 late cancellation charge.
Policies & Procedures
- As per our new policies, all sessions must be paid prior to meeting with your instructor; please note that instructors are not obliged to attend sessions unless they are prepaid. Prior to starting your lessons at MEI, you will create an MEI username and be given that of your instructor's in order to use the online system.
- When you log into your MEI account on the "Languages Dashboard" click on the "Tutoring" tab.
- If you already have funds in your account, click on the "schedule tutoring session" tab to schedule your next lesson. Here you will use your teacher's MEI username to schedule the session, entering the agreed upon date, time, type of session, language, and session length (hours). Once you submit the session, your instructor will be notified of the lesson by email. At this time, your session has been paid for and you are confirmed to meet with your instructor.
- If you do not have enough funds in your account when creating a session, the system will notify you of how much tutoring credit must be added to your account in order to hold the lesson. Upon adding the required amount of funds, you will complete step two outlined above to schedule and pay for your lesson.
- The online system is only used for adding funds to your account and applying those funds to individual tutoring sessions. It is not used for scheduling purposes. Students and teachers must work out a schedule via email once they are connected.