Language Course Policies
* TUITION AND FEES
* GROUP LANGUAGE CLASSES
* PRIVATE TUTORING
* MEI PREMISES
TUITION AND FEES
Group Language Class Tuition $490 (30 hours)*
On Site Tutoring Cost $55/hour
Off Site Tutoring Cost $65/hour
On Site Group Tutoring Cost $45/hour per student
Offsite Group Tutoring Cost $50/hour per student
Skype Tutoring Cost $35/hour
*Student will retain all purchased texts and supplemental materials.
GROUP LANGUAGE CLASSES
Group language classes are taught on weekday evenings. The classes meet at one of the following days/times:
5:40pm - 7:30pm
6:00pm - 7:50pm
7:30pm - 9:15pm
8:00pm - 9:50pm
5:40pm - 7:30pm
6:00pm - 7:50pm
7:30pm - 9:15pm
8:00pm - 9:50pm
*Times are subject to change by term
Attendance plays a critical role in student success in all classes. Satisfactory progress is difficult without regular attendance. All students are expected to attend class and arrive on time.
1. If a student is absent for a total of three times per term, MEI reserves the right to withdraw the student from the class. If a student is forced to withdraw due to poor attendance, s/he will automatically fail the class.
2. For every three classes that a student is tardy, s/he will earn one absent mark on his/her attendance record.
3. MEI does not offer makeup classes in the event that a student is absent, and students are responsible for making up all missed class work and for coming to class prepared following the absence.
4. While MEI is serious regarding student attendance, we do empathize with students who encounter emergencies and are unable to attend class on a certain day. We do however require advance notice that a student will be absent in order to avoid an unexcused absence.
5. Teachers have the flexibility to cancel or re-schedule classes for various reasons, including to personally observe religious holidays. The only requirement is that they must still hold the minimum number of sessions (15) for each class.
The Middle East Institute uses the following letter grades: A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, D-and F. Students must earn a final grade of C- or better to pass the course and be eligible for higher level courses. Instructors record all student grades per term and issue a final grade at the conclusion of the class. All grades are submitted to the director before grades are issued to students.
Grade Conversion Chart:
A 93 -100
B- 80 - 82
D+ 68 - 69
A- 90 - 92
C+ 78 - 79
D 63 - 67
B+ 88 - 89
C 73 - 77
D- 60 - 62
B 83 - 87
C- 70 - 72
F Below 60
An incomplete will be given in a circumstance in which the student has arranged to make up an exam or assignments with a teacher. Students are required to contact the Department of Languages as soon as possible if you intend to complete the assignments. All grades marked incomplete are changed to “F” if they are not made up by the start of the next term
Students may opt to take their class pass/fail; they must earn a grade of C- (70%) or higher to receive a “pass”. Students must complete the Pass/Fail form prior to the term mid-point (8th class). Forms are available at the department offic
Auditing a Course
MEI prohibits auditing courses as it can have a negative impact on the progression of the class. A student may only audit a course with specific authorization by the Director of the Department and this will only be granted under special circumstances.
Courses at MEI are non-accredited. Weekday classes are equivalent to two academic credit hours. Per policy, credit is only accepted at the discretion of the institution to which the student is applying to or currently enrolled in. Transcripts and grade report requests may be submitted to email@example.com.
Student Progress Policy
In order to progress through MEI’s language curriculum, students must earn a minimum passing grade of C- for all MEI language classes.
Students must pass each prerequisite level to advance to the next course.
Students must begin at the 101 level unless they can demonstrate language skills that surpass the 101 level through a placement exam.
All student progress records are based on attendance and grades earned for each particular class in which they are enrolled. MEI staff tracks each student’s progress through its online tracking system. MEI will email official grade reports to students once teachers have submitted all grades to MEI. Students are notified of their academic eligibility status upon receiving their grade reports.
Withdrawal and Refund Policies
Any student may withdraw from a class at any time, please contact the MEI Language Department office. We will send you a withdrawal request form. Once we receive it, we will process the refund.
Students are entitled to a refund only when:
· S/he withdraws no later than the end of the 2nd week of classes (within 14 days of the first class meeting)
· OR MEI cancels the class. Should MEI cancel a class, the students in the class are eligible to receive a full refund.
Refunds will be issued according to the following schedule:
· 100% of the balance will be refunded if the withdrawal request is received prior to the beginning of the first class
o Refund = $490
· 80% of the balance will be refunded if the withdrawal request is received before the second class
o Refund = $392
· 50% of the balance will be refunded if the withdrawal request is received before the third class
o Refund = $245
· Refunds will be made by check if payment was made either by check or cash. Refunds will be made by credit card if payment was made by credit card and only to the card that was used to make the payment. For refunds to be made to another credit card, a signed authorization needs to be received from the cardholder in person or via fax or mail.
No refunds will be issued after the third class. A confirmation e-mail will be sent upon request to withdraw. If you have not received confirmation, please call (202) 785-2710 or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please allow 15 days for refunds to be processed and issued.
Private instruction at MEI is offered in Arabic, Persian, Turkish, Kurdish, Hebrew, Dari, and Urdu from 7:00 am to 10:00 pm on all days of the week.
If a student wishes to cancel or reschedule a tutoring session, s/he must request this at least 24 hours prior to the session. If the student does not cancel with 24 hours’ notice, they will be charged for the entire session.
Unused credits and prepaid classes will be forfeited six months after last attendance.
Student Access to MEI Facilities
Student access to classrooms is available 15 minutes prior to the class’s official start time. If students arrive earlier than this, they have access to MEI’s garden courtyard during hours that the library is open. While waiting, please remain quiet and be respectful of other activities.
Bicycles and Phones
MEI has a small bicycle rack outside the front entrance to the building. No bicycles may be brought into the building. Students are not permitted use of MEI telephones.
Inclement Weather Policy
In the case of inclement weather, the Middle East Institute normally closes only when the Federal Government is closed. Please consult your local news or radio station to determine if the Government is closed. However, if there is a storm evening please check our website and/or your email for information, as MEI may decide not to hold classes that evening. If MEI cancels class due to inclement weather, classes will be made up after the last scheduled week of class.