About the Department
The communications department manages MEI’s media relations, website content, social media marketing, and multimedia production. We offer two internship positions each term: 1) Ageneral communications internship working across a wide range of tasks, and 2) a graphic design internship focused on producing document layouts, signage, project logos, infographics, motion graphics and animation, and social media posts.
Notes: 1) MEI interns are paid a stipend of up to $500/month based on their hours per week. 2) Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, internships for this department are only being offered remotely until further notice.
What You Will Learn
Communications staff provide hands-on training and guidance in a number of sought-after career skills, including:
- Managing website content in Drupal
- Designing e-mail newsletters
- Digital photography
- Editing photos and videos using Adobe Lightroom/Photoshop and Premiere Pro
- Editing podcasts in Adobe Audition
- Operating a state-of-the-art A/V system for livestreaming public events
- HTML and CSS fundamentals
- Social media strategy
- Media research and monitoring
- Tracking web traffic using Google Analytics
Interns will track MEI scholars’ media appearances and publications, field media inquiries, and monitor breaking stories and the journalists writing about them.
Website and Social Media
Interns will post new publications to MEI’s website and manage content using Drupal. They will also help to regularly post content to MEI’s social media platforms including Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube.
Newsletters and Press Releases
Interns will help produce MEI's e-mail newsletters including the Monday Briefing and News & Views. They will also draft occasional press releases and media advisories to promote important events, and write summaries of MEI events that will be posted online with a byline.
Interns will film and/or photograph MEI’s public events, edit videos in Adobe Premiere Pro, and post them to YouTube and MEI’s website. They may also assist in the production of MEI podcasts, informational videos, and promotional materials.
- This position requires strong writing and communications skills and technological savvy.
- Experience in journalism, multimedia production, and/or graphic design is a big plus.
- Photography, videography, Adobe Create Cloud, HTML/CSS
Please send a resume and cover letter to Nigar Mammadova at firstname.lastname@example.org, including "Communications Internship" in the subject line.
Graphic Design Internship
The graphic design intern will be responsible for producing a variety of materials in support of MEI’s centers, departments, and research programs. Designs will follow the Institute’s established brand guidelines while exercising creativity to achieve attractive and engaging results.
Projects may include: document layout and design, signage, project logos, e-mail layouts, infographics, motion graphics and animation, and social media posts, among others.
This internship is ideally suited for advanced students or recent graduates seeking to develop a broad, diverse, and cohesive portfolio for a profession in graphic design.
- Prior experience with the Adobe Creative Cloud suite is required, particularly with InDesign and either Illustrator or Photoshop.
- Experience with After Effects is a plus.
Please send a resume, cover letter, and links or attachments for at least three examples of your past graphic design or creative works to Nigar Mammadova at email@example.com, including "Graphic Design Internship" in the subject line.