ABOUT THE CENTER
The Center for Turkish Studies (CTS) is a non-partisan policy research center dedicated to independent thinking, innovative research, and analysis. Through conferences; programs that attract media coverage; events featuring scholars, dignitaries and officials from across the political spectrum of Turkey and the US; and academic publications; the Center aims to promote knowledge of Turkey to the broader American public, and specifically to policy and opinion makers. A Research Internship in the CTS is a 20 hours/week position. The internship combines research and administrative tasks, and the intern may perform the following duties under the supervision of the Director:
Interns perform short- and long-term research tasks for the academic and programmatic activities of the Center. The Director is currently pursuing research on Islamist movements in the Arab world. CTS interns also provide news scans and collect academic articles and sources from online research databases. Additionally, interns track and attend events and conferences on Turkey and/or topics related to the Center`s research agenda in area think tanks, and summarize the event transcripts as assigned by the Director.
Writing and Editing
CTS interns track the daily news on Turkish foreign and domestic politics from foreign and U.S. news outlets in English; summarize news articles, opinion-eds, and analysis published in respectable and reputable news sources; and post Turkish daily news summaries on the CTS website on a daily basis.
Interns update the Center's contacts list accurately and assist the Director with the Center's outreach activities. They also assist CTS library users when needed and ensure that the CTS library is well-maintained. Interns are also responsible for answering phone and email inquiries about the Center's activities, research materials, and events in a professional and diplomatic manner. Interns assist the Communications and Programs Department with room set-up and clean-up at the registration table during CTS events and other MEI events as needed.
Grant Application Research
CTS research assistants work alongside the Director to prepare grants, perform research, and collect application materials from the internet and/or outside organizations as needed.
Update and Maintain the Center’s Website
Complete Other Tasks as Required
NUMBER OF POSITIONS: 2
The Director requires one research assistant who is fluent in English and Turkish. In addition, each intern must have:
- Completed at least one year of college
- A strong interest in Turkey and basic understanding of Turkish domestic and/or foreign politics, social developments, or experience living or studying in Turkey
- Good writing, editing, research, and analytical skills; ability to complete writing and research tasks under short deadlines
- We strongly urge candidates who are fluent in Turkish or Arabic to apply. Foreign students are welcome.
- Working knowledge of Excel, Word, and Internet research tools
- Diplomatic and professional manner; good communication skills; and an ability to work both independently, and under strict supervision